Chemical Analyses for Quality Control of Nuts
CDR FoodLab® is the analysis system that allows to perform fast quality controls on nuts and seeds in order to determine their oxidation status, abandoning the use of toxic solvents like Soxhlet involved in traditional testing methods.
CDR FoodLab® easily performs chemical analyses on nuts and seeds to determine their oxidation status and efficaciously monitor the natural degradation and rancidity process of batches of product.
With no use of toxic solvents, the system can determine:
- Free Fatty Acids in 1 minute
- Peroxide Value in 4 minutes
- p-Anisidine Value in 6 minutes
CDR FoodLab® can analyze micro-quantities of samples by extracting the oil with a simple mechanical treatment. No maintenance and calibration is required. The system can be used not only in a laboratory, but also real time at processing plant, even by staff with no previous specific lab tech experience.
What is the CDR FoodLab® System for chemical analyses on nuts?
CDR Foodlab is a self-contained equipment complete with everything you need to perform, easily and rapidly, a thorough control of the oxidation status of hard shelled dried fruit, seeds and nuts in general either in a laboratory, or on the production line or at the time of purchase.
- An analyzer based on photometric technology, available in the two versions, equipped with state-of-the-art LED emitters, reading cells and 37°C thermostated incubation cells
- A kit of low toxicity, disposable reagents. Reagents are supplied in pre-filled cuvettes, in package of 10 tests, 1 year shelf life, developed and produced by the research laboratories of CDR.
- Pipettes allow for the collection of the correct volume of sample.
- The Help function will lead you through the process “Step by Step”.
- A graphic printer will immediately print the test results.
How to determine the oxidation status of nuts
Performing chemical analyses to monitor the oxidation status of oils and fats contained in hard shelled dried fruit, seeds, etc. is simple and fast because with the CDR system you extract the oil to analyze with a simple mechanical treatment, abandoning the use of toxic solvents, extraction hoods, All reagents are supplied in pre-filled cuvettes and ready to use, and operators do not have to handle toxic or carcinogenic compounds; there is no need to wash either containers or traditional glassware.
Thanks to the Multitasking Mode, on the oil extracted you can determine in 5 minutes Free Fatty Acids, Peroxide Vale and p-Anisidine Value, complex analytical instruments and complicated methods.
Save your time
To assess the oxidation status of an oil contained in nuts or seeds, CDR FoodLab® relies on analytical procedures and dedicated reagents specifically developed by the research laboratories of CDR that allow:
- a sample preparation that is quick and easy and that does not involve the use of toxic solvents;
- making analytical procedures extremely fast and easy;
- removing all needs for complex calibration procedures.
Moreover, CDR FoodLab® allows accelerating analytical procedures. Its thermostated incubation cells and the multitasking mode allow performing in an simple and fast way:
- several analyses at the same time on the same sample
- sixteen different assays for the same parameter on a batch of different samples.
With the CDR extraction system you extract the oil to analyze with a simple mechanical treatment that allows to rapidly assess the quality of nuts abandoning traditional testing methods that foresee the use of toxic solvents (Soxhlet).
Monitoring nuts natural rancidity process
Nuts are very rich in fats. That is why acidity e peroxide value tests are constantly run by businesses operating in the field because they provide valuable information on the rancidity of fats and oils Here is an insight on the chemical features and methods of official testing systems compared with the techniques designed and fine tuned by CDR to efficaciously monitor the natural degradation and rancidity process of batches of product. For more info download the white papar