IBU test in beer and wort
The test allows to determine the IBU (level of bitterness of beer) , measuring the quantity of iso-ɑ-acids present in the wort or in the finished beer.
The possibility to test IBU during the boiling phase or during fermentation allows to know the real responsiveness to the theoretical calculations and allows to supervise every production batch, ensuring a high quality standard.
Iso-ɑ-acids are extracted from beer through an appropriate solvent. After centrifugation the extract is read at 270 nm and the coloration is related to the degree of bitterness of the sample.
Reference Method Correlation
To curry out the Correlation curve samples for ibu test using the CDR BeerLab® and the UKAS accredited spectrophotometric method (Campden BRI Method AM/003 based on EBC Analytica 9.8, 2004). The curve was obtained as part of the comparative study of the analytical methods of CDR BeerLab® and the reference methods conducted by the Campden BRI international laboratory
Reagent test Kits
Traditional methods vs CDR BeerLab® method to test IBU
The traditional methods
The traditional methods for measuring bitterness often requires a laboratory with a laboratory technician, UV/Vis spectrophotometer, water bath, glassware, solvents etc. and can take anywhere from 15 – 30 minutes.
Features of CDR BeerLab® method to test IBU
- It uses the optimized EBC reference method.
- The IBU test can be performed directly at every step of the beer production process and so you have the possibility to study your recipe optimizing the additions of the hops and monitoring the actual extraction of the bitter.
- The test can be performed in approximately 6 or 7 minutes by anyone.
The Analyzers for process and quality control in beer brewing
- Complete analysis panel, supplied already configured
- Up to 16 determinations simultaneously
- Possibility of carrying out analyses of the same sample
- Integrated printer
- Full connections (LAN - USB - Bluetooth barcode/QR code reader)
CDR BeerLab® Jr
- Partial analysis panel, supplied configured with 3 analyses of your choice, implementable
- Up to 3 determinations simultaneously
- Wireless connection to external printer
- USB connections