Fats and Oils Chemical Analyses with CDR FoodLab®
CDR FoodLab® is the ideal method for performing quality and process controls, in real time, directly on food industry production lines.
The speed and ease of use of CDR FoodLab®’s analytical methods become competitive advantages for food industries producing oils or fats, or that employ them as ingredients.
CDR FoodLab® can determine:
- Free Fatty Acis in 1 minute
- Peroxide Value in 4 minutes
- p-Anisidine Value in 2 minutes
- Soaps in 2 minutes
- Iodine Value in Palm Oil in 2 minutes
- Polyphenols on Olive Oil in 5 minutes
CDR FoodLab® is the chemical analysis system designed and developed to provide accurate results at every step of the production process: the system is so easy to use that it can be utilized not only in a laboratory, but real time at the production plant for process control or quality control, even by staff with no previous specific lab tech experience.
What is the CDR FoodLab® System?
CDR FoodLab® is a self-contained equipment complete with everything needed to perform accurate chemical analyses for quality control of fats and oils.
- An analyzer based on photometric technology, available in two version, equipped with state-of-the-art LED emitters, reading cells and 37°C thermostated incubation cells. The analyser is supplied pre-calibrated, no further calibration is required. No maintenance is required.
- A kit of low toxicity, disposable reagents. Reagents are pre-vialed, in package of 10 tests, 1 year shelf life, developed and produced by the research laboratories of CDR.
- Pipettes allow for the collection of the correct volume of sample.
- The Help function will lead you through the process “Step by Step”.
- Instruments can be equipped with a printer or PC connection
CDR FoodLab® is a true testing laboratory for fats and oils analyses, ideal to performe quality or process controls in real time, even directly on the production line.
How are tests on fats and oils performed?
Performing chemical analyses on fats and oils is simple and fast, because sample preparation, if any, is minimal. All reagents are supplied pre-vialed and ready to use, and operators do not have to handle toxic or carcinogenic compounds; there is no need to wash either containers or traditional glassware.
What can I analyze?
CDR FoodLab® system is the ideal solution to run analyses on fats and oils for quality control and process control at production lines in real time. This is why it is used worldwide by many food industries that either produce fats or oils, or process them as ingredients.
- It becomes possible to quickly determine the shelf life of bakery products, snacks and creams with the utmost ease, by monitoring the oxidation status and the rancidity of the oils contained in the different products.
- If used in deep-fried foods production lines, the CDR FoodLab® system for fats and oils enables to quickly check the quality of frying oils and to determine the shelf life of snacks and other fried foods with ease, speed and accuracy
- If used in combination with the CDR extraction system, which operates without toxic solvents, the CDR FoodLab® system for fats and oils enables to assess the quality of either the raw ingredients or of the finished products of industries producing, processing or packing nuts and hard shelled dired fruit.
- If you use palm oil as a cooking oil and shortening with CDR FoodLab® , or the specific analysis system CDR PalmOilTester, you can make process control real time at production line quickly even if yuo are without previous specific lab tech experience
- Thanks to the small size of the sample it requires, these systems are highly appreciated by producers of valuable oils, essential oils and cosmetics
- Tests on natural vegetable oils for various purposes: cosmetics, functional foods, nutritional supplements, pharmaceutical purposes (almond oil, canola oil, soy oil and so on)
- Tests on marine oils such as fish oil and algae oil for nutraceutical or other purposes.
- Tests of vegetable oils, animal fats and fuel oils (biofuels or biodiesel).
- Accurate process control of refined oils thanks to special curves that work correctly even with very low ranges of acidity and peroxide value.
- With a very simple sample pre-treatment developed in our chemical laboratories, CDR FoodLab® for Fats and Oils allows analyzing also flours, animal feed, butter and margarine
Save your time
To assess the quality of an oil or a fat and assay its oxidation status, CDR FoodLab® relies on analytical procedures and dedicated reagents specifically developed by the research laboratories of CDR that allow:
- a sample preparation that is quick and easy, when needed at all;
- making analytical procedures extremely fast and easy;
- removing all needs for complex calibration procedures.
Moreover, CDR FoodLab® allows accelerating quality control analytical procedures because it features:
- thermostated incubation cells
- multitasking mode
These features allow performing several analyses at the same time on the same sample or sixteen different assays for the same parameter on a batch of different samples.
Comparison study between CDR FoodLab® analytics methods and reference methods for Oil and Fats testing
The international reference laboratory Campden Bri has trialled the CDR FoodLab® to establish whether it could meet the requirements for analysing a number of important food quality parameters. assessment of the ability of the CDR FoodLab® to analyse for Anisidine Value, Peroxide Value and Free Fatty Acids content showed that the instrument gave comparable results to the reference methods with very high correlation coefficients suggesting good accuracy of results.
The CDR FoodLab® is a self-contained unit requiring only a mains power supply. It is straightforward to use and requires no more than one hour of training. The instrument is maintenance-free and no additional equipment is required to analyse samples. It provides data faster than traditional laboratory-based methods
A reliable analysis system employed by the University of Hamburg
CDR FoodLab® was used for a test to determine the p-Anisidine Value in two types of sunflower oils for a Comparative study on the oxidative stability of deep-frying oils carried out by the University of Hamburg: “Analyses of the oxidative stability of deep-frying oils”, curated by Katharina D. Placke, Jan Fritsche and Kim K. Kleeberg. Researchers relied on our instrument to determine the quantity of p-Anisidine in an easy way and with no use of toxic reagents to obtain rapidly a sound indication of deep-frying oil resistance.
Case study: quick decisions, containing the costs
Norman Harris, Northstar Lipids Technical Manager: “Historically, Northstar Lipids relied completely on external laboratories for oil analyses. Both yearly costs, which were rather significant, and the delay in the results, up to 7 days, had to be taken into account to schedule production.
Since we started using CDR FoodLab® costs are on par with the conventional methods, especially when considering the waste disposal costs of solvent residues
The possibility of getting results in real time means that decisions involving product batches can be taken on the spot; this allows fast responses to customer requests, and improving the developing process for new products.” Download the case study (in English): Northstar Lipids: analyzing natural oils easily and reliably
A versatile analysis system